West Haven Public Schools
Unit Planning Organizer
Pacing: 6 Weeks
1. If the glaciers melted, how would it affect West Haven? (Environment affects how much life can be supported.)
2. How would population change if there was a cure for HIV or AIDs? (Technology promotes human survival.)
3. How does our population fluctuate like an airport? (Populations are constantly changing.)
Environment affects how much life can be supported.
Technology promotes human survival.
Populations are constantly changing.
CT State Standards (includes West Haven’s “Priority” GLES’s in BOLD and “Supporting” Standards)
D. 43 Describe the factors that affect the carrying capacity of the environment.
D. 45 Explain how technological advances have affected the size and growth rate of human populations throughout history.
D 44. Explain how change in population density is affected by emigration, immigration, birth rate and exponential
growth of human populations.
“Unwrapped” Concepts and Skills, and Bloom Levels (BL)
Concepts(Need to Know)
Skills(Able to Do)
- Factors affecting carrying capacity
- Technology on human growth rate
- Change in population density dependent on outside factors
Common Formative Pre- Assessment (Followed by Data Team Analysis):
“Dipsticks” (Informal Progress Monitoring Checks):
Common Formative Post- Assessment (Followed by Data Team Analysis):
· Biology book
· Velcro model manipulative
· Visual models
· Graphic organizers/foldables
· Cells Alive! Website
· Population pyramids
· CAPT STS: Population Growth of Countries
Suggested Research-based Effective Instructional Strategies:
· Whole group (lectures/notes/discussion) (Q&A)
· Small group
· Computer lab
· Concepts in Motion (biologygmh.com)
Industrial Revolution (History)
Plotting data (Math)
Exponential Growth Curves (Math)