The Talented and Gifted Program
West Haven School System believes that the talents of gifted students
must be recognized and the gifted provided the opportunity to interact
with other students equally talented. A stimulating learning environment
is required to enable all gifted students to expand their creative and
critical thinking abilities.
The goals of the Talented and Gifted Program are :
- To assist the student in achieving higher levels of:
- Critical thinking
- Research skills Creative thinking
- Problem Solving
- Self-awareness and task commitment
- To enhance a student's talents and gifts by providing:
- An opportunity for interaction with one's intellectual peers
- Access to a wide variety of resources
- An atmosphere of questioning and risk taking
- Opportunities for in-depth investigation and presentation
- To support classroom teachers through:
- In service and workshops
- Materials and activities
West Haven Board of Education has a teacher devoted to the needs of the
talented and gifted students in Grades 5 and 6, Mrs. Patti Fusco, who
is stationed at Carrigan Intermediate School.
Talented and Gifted Program is designed to serve students who exhibit
exceptional learning ability characterized by high IQ, high achievement
and high motivation. Students in the top 5% of grades 5, and 6 in the
school system will be chosen to participate.
The following instruments will be used to select students:
- Intelligence test
- Objective Behavioral Rating Scale
- Classroom performance, report cards and group test results
- Teacher recommendation
Books for Children
and assist your child in selecting books on topics of special interest
to him or her. Any of the Newberry or Caldecott Award books are a good
place to start. Nutmeg Award Books offers lists of recommended books.
Your public librarian can be a wonderful resource.
Games for Children
Below is a list games that allow students to use higher level thinking skills.
Jig Saw Puzzles Chung Toi
Apples to Apples and other word games
Websites for Parents
To learn about the Connecticut Association for the Gifted and "Minds in Motion" workshops for children and adults click here. Connecticut Association for the Gifted
The West Haven School District also subscribes to Renzulli Learning, http://renzullilearning.com/default.aspx. Parents are welcome to log in and use those resources with their children.
The following is a list of links that students in the program might find helpful in completing reseach projects.
Franklin Institute Hotlist
West Haven Public Library
Daily Dose Of the Web
The History Channel
How Stuff Works